We have previously talked about katrina leonoudakisan English translator from the manga and anime industry who has been known for commenting on “inclusion and diversity in translations“, affirming that the work of “location” is obliged to take into account these current aspects “even if the original story is modified“. But on this occasion we are not here to talk about those issues, but about another statement that he made recently, since he stated that SPY x FAMILY It wouldn’t be half as popular now if it weren’t for “the great job of translation and localization“.
Leonoudakis made this comment while sharing an update on Twitter, writing: “It must be said that SPY x FAMILY would not be half as successful as it is in the West without Michelle Tymon’s absolutely stellar translation. Perfectly captures Anya’s speech, her moments of humor and her characterization».
Later he tried to dodamage control” changing the subject and stating that translators who participate in series that are more successful than others should be paid more. That is, you want someone who translates to be paid more SPY x FAMILY than someone who translates other less popular works, like Dance Dance Dancer either paripi koumei: «Michelle is so talented and so passionate. It’s a shame that she’s not getting paid more for the amount of work and skill she’s putting in each week for this huge series and more. (Yes, we get paid the same whether it’s a premium series or something highly specialized)“, wrote.
Of course and as is common, his publication was full of comments against:
- «“SPY x FAMILY” has literally been one of the top 3 selling shonen manga by volume for several years and would be popular despite it. The sheer arrogance of this person in thinking that they added literally anything to this».
- «As expected of a translator, wanting to take credit for others».
- «I wish the “SPY x FAMILY” pagers loved Anya as much as I do. They keep omitting her references to herself from her in the third person, which drives me crazy when I can hear her say her name and her subtitles don’t have it».
- «So the original creator, the animators, the editors, the voice actors, the companies, and all the other individuals involved in “SPY x FAMILY” represent only half of what makes this show popular? With or without your friend this program would continue to be popular. This comment only shows a lack of humility».
- «I’m pretty sure the reason it’s popular is because of the series itself. The translation makes it easier for people to understand it in other languages, but it is absurd to think that the translation of anything is the cause of half of its success».
- «The manga was already very popular and the anime was highly anticipated. The translation contribution is insignificant, especially coming from you and your ilk».
- «How many people watch the dub of this instead of the subtitles? The arrogance here is staggering. It’s popular because it’s a great, wholesome, well-animated story. Not for a shit dubbing».
- «Although the translation has helped the Japanese comic, it is still important to listen to the critics. They should definitely translate the manga properly in the future because as paying customers we want our money’s worth. Locating it discourages me from buying it».
- «Imagine saying without irony that an anime wouldn’t have been successful if it weren’t for a translator».
- «In my opinion, it’s a bit of a stretch to say that one person gets half the credit for a show being popular.».
- «Attributing 50% of a program’s success to one person in what is a huge team effort is a bad image, regardless of their intentions».
Synopsis for SPY x FAMILY
For the agent known as “Twilight”, no order is too high if it is for the sake of peace. Operating as Westalis’s master spy, Twilight works tirelessly to prevent extremists from unleashing a war with neighboring Ostania. For his latest mission, he must investigate Ostanian politician Donovan Desmond by infiltrating his son’s school: the prestigious Eden Academy. Thus, the agent faces the most difficult task of his career: getting married, having a child and playing family.
Twilight, or “Loid Forger”, quickly adopts humble orphan Anya to play the role of a six-year-old daughter and prospective Eden Academy student. As a wife, she meets Yor Briar, an absent-minded office worker who needs a pretend partner to impress her friends. However, Loid is not the only one with a hidden nature. Yor is actually the deadly assassin “Thorn Princess” and for her, marrying Loid creates the perfect cover. Meanwhile, Anya is not the ordinary girl she appears to be; she is an esper, the product of secret experiments that allow her to read minds. Though she discovers her true identities, Anya is thrilled that her new parents are cool secret agents! She would never tell them, of course. That would spoil the fun.